Brittani & Africa : ]

Hello hello! I've gotten a lot of requests to keep an online journal so you guys can keep track of me while I'm away. SO, here it is, and hopefully I'll be able to keep updating while I'm off filling tummies and riding zebras (just kidding Mom). Thanks to all of you for your support and interest! <3

Friday, September 01, 2006

UFF-DA

I made it my first whole week in Kenya! It has been pretty much been non-stop meeting, greeting and working - which is great. First off, let me just say the internet here is dial-up (AKA slug slow), and they try and get your $$ ("peso") any time, so these entires might be on the short side. Just in case I want to eat while I'm here, semi-important things like that. :)

First off, let me just say that these kids I'm working with are precious and pleasing. They are huge helpers and eager to do anything to make life easier for anyone, whether it's eachother or their families or community. We have about 28 little guys, most are between the ages of 4-12. There are a few older boys though, who love the whole concept of futbol. These are the ones I'll give the soccer jerseys to; Lance McCoy deserves a hgue thanks for those! We make them 3 different meals M, W and F, which all consist mainly of rice, beans, omena (little fishies) and ugali (porridge-like cornbread). We start the english and math classes on Monday, I'm excited to see the extent of what these kids know. It's obivous that many of them can't speak english, except when you ask them to repeat what you say (like "please" and "thank you"). I didn't realize how important it is for them to know English, but they won't make it past primary school if they can't. SO, that's what my days will start being filled up with starting next week. They are all good natured and learn quickly, so I think it will be a good adventure for us both.

Kisumu itself is c-r-a-z-y. Driving laws don't exist, as does most technology, and I can expect ranstorms every afternoon. No complaints about those though, it feel refreshing after getting so dusty and playing in dirt all day. It took a few days to get accustomed (did I spell that right, Ciara?), but I'm getting the hang of living life here. The bicycle taxis, the dust, the "hey white lady!" calls, everything is becoming more familiar and what I just have to consider normal for these next few months. It's amazing being here though, it really is beautiful with Lake Victoria and all the flowers that grow year-round. The people are fun to interact with as well, and most welcome any conversation and offer help whenever Eve and I get lost or can't find peanut-butter at the store (we're already through our first jar). I'm learning a lot through trial and error, whether it's at the Wastahili compound (where the feeding program and kiwanis restaurant is) or in town. The thing about town is it is so busy - think African style Seattle. It's great to do a little grocery shopping and interneting, but it is SO nice to return home to Dunga where out house is set a little bit off from everything. We have a nice little family there; Eve, Rachelle (who leaves Monday :( ), Maurice (who we jsut found out as malaria, typhoid AND TB- we're getting him better, hakuna matata) , baby Zawa and Joyce (our house lady). I'll post pictures as soon as I can, it will happen some time!

Pretty much very second I've been here, compassion has filled me with these kids. They have taken a serious toll on my heart. It makes me feel guilty to return to the comfortable life I left behind, when these kids get by on so little and are still so thrilled about life. With their dynamic personalities, it's hard to stop smiling when I'm around them.

OK, that's all for now .. I hope this finds all of you well, thanks for reading up on me, I miss you guys!

love,
brittani

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home