Brittani & Africa : ]

Hello hello! I've gotten a lot of requests to keep an online journal so you guys can keep track of me while I'm away. SO, here it is, and hopefully I'll be able to keep updating while I'm off filling tummies and riding zebras (just kidding Mom). Thanks to all of you for your support and interest! <3

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

In case you're interested!

Hello again! I know, 2 posts in a week, what's going on?! I have had a lot of questions about how friends and family can help the children here from a distance back home. I've been learning a lot this past month about how to go about effectively doing so because, unfortunately, there is quite a bit of red tape. Sending packages here (as some of you might have found out!), isn't cheap, and if you're sending a package meant for 50 kids, it can get pretty pricey. We have tried to work with the post offices, both here and in the US, on how to get fees waived. However, neither end has budged, but hopefully soon. SO, when I get back home I plan on putting on fundraisers to get Christmas gifts for these children, as well as for money to pay for the outrageous shipping costs.

In the mean time, if any of you would like to help immediately and don't want to wait for my arrival back in the US, I have a Bank of America account set up which anyone can deposit money into. If you decide to do this, write me an e-mail and let me know how much, I'll multiply that by 72 (it's 72 shillings per the dollar here) and I'll withdraw that from the ATM and put it towards something sustainable for the kids/families here. I'm a trustworthy girl :), and will send you a picture and detailed description of what you're money went to and how much of a help it was. I know money seems a little impersonal, but at least you will have a clear understanding of how you would be helping directly and what it had done. I know many of my kids here are in need of textbooks, uniforms, socks, etc for school. Contrary to the description "free public school", it's NOT free here. I also know families that need livestock (goats, chickens and cows are in high demand) or beds. Just to give you an idea of what your "pesa" could go to, options are nice. :)

If anyone has any questions or concerns or comments or annnnything, please don't hesitate to e-mail me at :Br1ttan1@hotmail.com, and I'll get back to you as quick as I can. Thanks so much, you have all been so supportive and I, along with everyone here, really appreciate it!!

Much love,
Brittani

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home